Saturday, July 20, 2013

This weeks book in review, quilting, nasty storms and feeder visitors

This week I thought I would do things a little different and start out with doing my book reviews first. 

This past week I Read “Angels in the Fire” by Dann Stadler. This book was provided by Bethany House Publishers when it was released on July 1st for my honest opinion. So having said that, the review that follows is my own opinion and should be taken as such.  There was no influence from anyone associated with the book. 

Angels In the Fire

An Amazing True Story of Angelic Intervention in a Desperate Situation
The Stadlers' harrowing journey began with a midnight crash caused by a drunk driver. The odds they would both survive the crash were minimal--a testimony to the miracles that began that night and continued through months of surgeries and hospitalizations. The Stadlers struggled to rebuild their lives, only to face more heartache and loss. But through the hard times, their faith grew as God continued to save them from despair and bring blessings into their lives.
For everyone seeking a deeper faith or affirmation of their belief in a good God, this book will provide hope and the reassurance that God still ministers through his angels today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks words are:  Intense, Miraculous, Heart felt, Tissue worthy.

I have to admit this was a real tear jerker of a book as it was on of the most difficult stories that I’ve ever read. The intensity grabs you from the first page. It was as if I knew the guy they were talking about from my many years of being a waitress on the midnight shift.  It wasn’t unusual to be on shift when the bars let out and having the barflies literally fall in the door of the 24 hours restaurant.  Having dealt with these types on a regular bases had always made me leery and this book shows me that my fears weren’t unfounded. I could just “see” the scene unfold in my mind when Dann described the accident.  From there on the tissue box was close at hand as I continue to read the heart wrenching tale of Faith helps the Stadler’s through so much pain, their treatments that seem never-ending, the miracles of children, loss of parents. This book was so surreal for me that I wasn’t able to put it down until I finished it.  To see the photos included in the book allowed me to “meet” the Stadler’s thus putting a “face” to the story making it feel more personal to me.  this book comes to me at a time when I needed remember that one is never truly alone and that at any given time, a bit of Faith & Pray can be what is missing in one’s life when everything seems to be too much. 

I would give this book a 5 out of 5 stars.  It was well written.  You got to read how one family’s Faith got them through many battles big and small to become better, stronger people not only in the family dynamics', but also those in the community who lives that they touched too. If you need to see God’s work; just look around you with truly open eyes. The miracles are there to see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay now I did use the plural form of books at the beginning since I managed to get another book in this week.  After reading such a tear jerker, I had to escape back to the world of fiction in my next reading endeavor. I was provided with an e-reader copy of “The Silver Chain  by Primula Bond.  This is book 1 in Unbreakable Trilogy that was released July 4th by Harper Collins UK, Avon.  via NetGallery.

Silver Chain

Description:
Bound by passion, she was powerless to resist.
One dark evening in London, photographer Serena Folkes is indulging her impulsive side with a night-time shoot. But someone is watching her – mysterious entrepreneur Gustav Levi. Serena doesn’t know it yet, but this handsome stranger will change her life forever…
Serena is fascinated by Gustav, the enigmatic owner of the Levi Gallery, and she soon feels an irresistible pull of attraction. The interest is mutual, and Gustav promises to launch Serena’s photographic career at his gallery, but only if Serena agrees to become his exclusive companion.
To mark their agreement, Gustav gives Serena a bracelet to wear at all times. Attached to it is a silver chain of which he is the keeper. With the chain Gustav controls Serena physically and symbolically – a sign that she is under his power.
As their passionate relationship intensifies, Gustav’s hold on the silver chain grows stronger. But will Gustav’s dark past tear them apart?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words for this one: Flatly Erotic, Wordy, Let-Down

Well this book has was compared to “Fifty Shades of Gray” series and I had some expectations for it but hoped that it could hold it’s own. But what I found was that it was choppy, confusing, wordy and a let down.  To me the plot was too “cookie cutter” as it tries to compete with FSOG.  We have the poor little, previously abused, orphan girl trying to break out of her shell with her photographing in seemingly exotic locations such as Florence, Venice and London where she takes “voyager-like”  photos that she hopes to propel her into the “Up & Coming” Art field.  Enter stage left the Less-Than-Contrite, older, broody, male billionaire who will be her “savior” with his art gallery but for a price … of course!!  So we have Serena -- the not-quite-innocent girl barely out of school with something of a “oh woo is me -- feel bad for me – hand me the world” complex being led the big bad wolf of a supposed Hero -- Gustav -- with more then his share of mental anguish stemming his own fubar-ed relationship with his baby-brother-stealing-Dominatrix ex-wife. Oh yeah!! Not!  Gustav seems to come across somewhat like a grown spoiled brat and a controlling jerk when dealing with everyone around him, including Serena. It was hard to find any sympathy for him and truth be told if I had met Serena in real life, I’d would have to fight with myself from reaching up and smacking her on the back of the head, with a “Snap out of it & come back to the real world.  We don’t wait for a “Prince Charming” to get here ‘cuz he isn’t coming!”   

I know .. I know .. this is a work of fiction but to me it was just too….. humm … what’s the word I’m looking for?   Too overdone.  Yeah that’s it …. overdone. The plot, the characters, the erotic scenes, the whole bit with a British twist to it.  I think the story line was rushed and pushed out before it was smoothened out with hopes of catching the FSOG coattails to success.  Now I did manage to finish the book with the hopes that it might pick up and improve but sadly it never did.  So in my honest and unbiased opinion, I am trying hard to even to give it 2 stars out of 5.  As always with my reviews, although the publishing house provided the book to me – the opinion is mine and all mine without any influences associated with the making of the book and should be taken with a grain of salt.

 

Now that I have those done let’s take a look into my quilt-y world for this week.  The sewing machine is still in it’s time out but fear not!!! {Cues up dramatic music -- Dunt Dunt Da} I learned to …. wait for it ……   PAPER PIECE!!!!  And I got proof!!! LOL!  Last week when I was out with Ms. L. from my Wednesday morning group we had some little shop hopping in the Greenville/Lakeview  area.  We happen to be just doors from VJ’s Materials-N-More when we visited the Dime Store where they had the super priced flat folds.  I spent quite a bit there but I can say that all of it wasn’t even for me.  I needed some reds for a couple packages that I was working on and there was a print that will be the prefect frame for an embroidery piece I’m currently doing as a part of a gift bundle.  Anyways I digressed, we arrive at VJ’s only to find it closed for the day.  Slightly bummed we turned around to go only to come to realize that tone of the ladies we pasted was actually the owner.  She was talking to Ms. L. as I walked back to do a little more window peeking. VivianJane actually opens the door so we can take a look around.  As I peruse the shop, they get talking and it comes out that I’m looking to learn how to paper piece. After a few more minutes we get an invite to come back on Saturday for a lesson.  SWEETTTTT!!! So long story short…. we go back …. I get to learning and Viola!! This is what I did….

DSCN2954

Ms. VivianJane pulls out the shop’s copy of Carol Doak’s “Show Me How to Paper Piece” that she made several copies for me and pointed me to the scrap basket.  As I work, she shows Ms. L. some other neat projects that would make great gifts.   Ms. VJ (as she is known) waits patiently as I learn from my mistakes and answers all my not-so-intelligent questions.  She has such a wonderful person that she makes you feel very welcomed in her shop like she and you are the best of friends from many years back. In fact her story is in the Michigan version of the “Country Register” July/August issue on page 17 for those of you in the area.  I can’t wait to do more shopping there. 

Last night we had a right down nasty storm roll through the area.  The sky turned a shade of yellow-orange that I’ve don’t think I’ve seen before. We watched the clouds roll in with high winds of nastiness and then it went quiet and sky went flat. 

DSCN2921  DSCN2922 DSCN2923 DSCN2932   DSCN2926 DSCN2930

As in no cloud definition and the thunder was more of an continuous low rumble. It was eerie to say the least.  never seen rain like that … we was lucky but the neighbor lost half a fruit tree. That is the rain in solid sheets that make the picture to appear blurry.

DSCN2928   DSCN2929   DSCN2930

It did make for interesting cloud shots when I could get them afterwards.  I wished I had gotten some more of the pre-storm sky but by the time I found the camera… the coloring had changed again. 

DSCN2934   DSCN2936  DSCN2937   DSCN2938

Right afterwards, I got a call from Ms. L.  who was checking to make sure we came through the storm okay.  She apparently didn’t get the whole “nastiness” but just a few little flashes, booms and little rain.  She processed to tell that another one of the girls in the circle had 3 or 4 come down on their place.  One just missed the house, another took out the duck house and pen and the was still a couple more down.  Ms.B. almost believes that a possible funnel cloud may have touched down near her.  How scary!!

Well with all that excitement I think I’ll just end by showing you some pictures of my little feeder visitors.  As always I love hearing from you – my readers. So please let me know what you think of this weeks post. 

Toodles,
Tricia

DSCN2943   DSCN2942   DSCN2949   DSCN2950

1 comment:

  1. Wow those books were extreme at opposite ends...lol.

    So glad you have begun your paperpiecing journey......you're going to love the travelling as you get going.....hurrah

    Storm pics are awesome....we had a bad one too......hydro out 4hrs for us, some sill don't have theirs back,almost 2 days.

    The hummers are so sweet....have a great weekend

    hugs and stitches

    Debbieann

    ReplyDelete