Saturday, December 22, 2012

The "girls", Old Man Winter and "PIF"

Whewwwie!!! We made past the pitfall of the Mayan Calendar and the world didn't seem to come to an end per say.   So Yeah US!!!  Aren't we the lucky ones! 

The "girls" are settling in to our little home rather nicely.  We have renamed the the girls and they seem to be taking to the names better we had expected.  The darker one of the two sisters, has been given the name "Nosy Rosy". Yes folks Rosy is really living up to her name. I believe in her way of thinking, her humans MUST be available for her inspection at any given moment.  That closed doors really shouldn't be closed to her at all -- especially if one of the members of her "staff" is behind it. She seems to enjoy Steve's company and if given the chance will sit on my side of the love seat and cuddle up with him so that they may nap together.  She definitely is the stronger personality of the two. 

Now her sister, on the other hand; seems to have aligned herself to me.  She is a bit timid at times, but her more playful quirks are coming out and showing that she is no wall flower in any means.  The whole time since their arrival, I have made it a point to talk to them both and during which little ms. timid has taken to the name of Honey. So Honey it is.... although Steve still refers to her as "Paranoid".  But I'm sure he will come around to Honey as she comes when called. It's funny that Honey get be VERY persuasive as to having my attention ESPECIALLY in the mornings as I try to do my computer stuff along with my 1st cup of coffee. Nothing like someone sitting on your hands and lower arms as you try to type.  LOL.

We are very happy to have these girls become a part of our little family.  We love how they greet us in the mornings as we make our way to the coffeepot.  They seem to enjoy being talked to and will flop over their sides for scratching. We look forward to many years of cuddling and silly antics.  Oh guess what!! I'm happy to report that according to what I saw on the Humane Societies page, there was 5 other adult kitties around the same age as our girls that was sprung from their Kittie prisons to their very own "forever home" too!!  Way to go Kitties!!!!

"Ohhhh .... the weather outside is Frightful .... "  Those of us in the Mid-West was visited by Old Man Winter. He decided to showed us who the boss was for the last few days.  He sure did show up with a grand bluster to let us know it ain't no puny humans!  We had ended our week with power outages, winds up to 65 mph at times, drifting snows, bitter cold temps and yet again another van issue that involved another tow bill & the alternator.  Ain't Life a kick in the head sometimes?

So this week, I managed to get a nice present for Steve done for his birthday/Christmas on Monday.  I made this nice long lap quilt for him for the couch that is the prefect width for across his chest and give him the ability to tuck it under his feet with his 6'1" frame.  I have to say that this was the most inexpensive quilt that I have made and He certain can't be any happier with it  Why you might ask?  Well good question, as it leads into one of the topics of the week. 

I was a recipient of the "pay it forward" movement that is know widely throughout the quilting world. I was give this red, white & blue Homespun Patch panel that was a couple yards with this other fabric that is a dark tan blender type fabric for the back by a friend from my Wednesday morning quilting circle. She told me that she has had these fabrics for years and years and never got around to doing anything with them. She figured that she would clean out her stash and past it on to me. Then I was give a really thin poly batting that was queen-size from another friend that didn't work for her current project and it had a slash in the package & batting... so it was nonreturnable.  So now, I have the main components for the quilt, I spent several Wednesdays prepping, & putting it together so that I could tie it.  I "happen" to know that I had a skein of red, white, and blue variegated yarn that I wanted to use.  So then my friend handed me some red star Hoffman print to use as the binding that worked perfectly.  So what did I contribute besides the yarn and the time? I was luck to receive such generous offers in order to make the one of 2 gifts that he will receive for the holidays. And everyone knows that a homemade item is just the best thing to receive!!! Right?

A few months back you might remember me talking about "Pay It Forward" at the end of Sept.?  About the movie with Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and Haley Joel Osment? Or you might be familiar the book of the same title by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  But either way in some form or another we all seem to know the thought process behind it all. I know to have been on both sides of the "PIF" coin so to speak at different times in my life on more than one occasion.

We all know that quilters are a wonderful community who love to "Pay it Forward" to all those around them.  Be it in quilts & pillowcases for Charity, for the Victims of Disasters of all kinds - like those of Hurricane Sandy or the families & community of the Newtown, CT. shooting that has recently become part of the most recent news. Another fine example of PIF was the New York Officer who bought a pair of boots and socks for the homeless man in mid November.  That was a wonderful show of PIF or as some would know it as Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) in a world today that most would turn a blind eye to anothers plight and violence is getting to be almost blase anymore.   

I can almost bet that you or someone you know has been a receiver of a PIF/RAK in the past. Think about it for a moment ... I'm almost sure you have seen those commercials on TV that touch on this very thought process. So take a minute and Really think about it.....

Okay now ... did someone in line at a store have a cart full of things, turn around to see you had one or two items or a young child with you who was staring to fuss and allowed you to go ahead of them with "please" and a smile;  instead of making some snide remark out loud to themselves about bringing cranky kids to the stores?  Maybe someone driving in front of you along the turnpike paid your toll fee or paid for your coffee that day and wanted something so small, that a smile & a "Thank You" has us wondering what that person's hidden agenda is?  Have you been in traffic at a light during heavy rush hour and here you are trying to pull out into traffic only to have everyone so wrapped up in their own lives, that they not willing to give up that few feet of space to allow your vehicle in ahead of them because your car might prevent them getting someplace a whole 30 seconds faster - when some kind person waves you in in front of them?  It is interesting to watch the dynamics of how we - as a whole - look at things ... myself included. 

In 1916, Lily Hardy Hammond wrote, "You don't pay love back; you pay it forward."

The expression "pay it forward" is used to describe the concept of asking the beneficiary of a good deed to repay it to others instead of to the original benefactor.

Well the reason I'm trying to get to is I once again came across the "Paying It Foward"  thread today, as I learned about a month ago now; I was chosen by Sara (of http://theamerineclan.blogspot.com ) that I was one of her "winners"of her PIF.  She is taking part in this and I thought I would too.  It is a type of "gifting" where the "poster" will pick three winners and make them a homemade gift sometime during the following 365 days. Then each of the three winners will do the same. Basically 1 person reaches 3 people and those 3 people reaches 9 reaches 24... et cetera et cetera. I know there probably is most likely some big fancy term or name of some sort algorithm that uses the concept of algorithm is also used to define the notion of decidability that escapes me at the moment to explain it. But once again I'm going to try my own PIF with homemade items. I'm going to  ask you to tell me about your own PIF experience.  Was you the receiver or the giver or even a witness to such an act that touched you in some way? 

Once you have perused the few little rules, tell me your story in the comment section below. I know with the holidays upon us we all are a bunch of busy bees, so I'm leaving this open for a while before choosing my "winners" so to speak.  But maybe this will have you thinking and looking about you for those little chances for "PIF" that cross you path any given day. Now if you don't have a blog or other social media item to take part in the "PIF" drawing, but still want to share a story with me .... I'll be glad to read all about it.  Just let me know some how that your comment is just for a chance to share the story.  I'm hoping to read lots of wonderful stories that it will be hard for me to make a decision for my winners!!

I will also share how I progress in my own PIF journey in the items that I will be making and how I plan to work on this in the new year to come.  I have some ideas that I'm kicking around and want to discuss with a few people before I make any kind of announcement as of right now. 




The rules are few but simple and are as follows:

1. I will create a crafty gift for  three people who will be randomly picked  that leave a comment to this post. This is a surprise, and will arrive to you anytime within the next 365 days.

2. Upon signing up for Pay it Forward (PIF), you are committing yourself to the project...someone pays it forward to you, so you pay it forward to others! Even if you didn't win here ~~ please feel free to start your own PIF chain!!  Just post this, or something similar so others can get involved. Basically you will create your own post where you create gifts for 3 people as well.

3. You need to have an active blog of your own...{or some way to post up your PIF info like a flickr, pinterest, or Facebook account. Basically you'll need a place to announce your own PIF and to post some pics of the process.} 

4. After winning persons are announced on this post, post something similar on your blog...so you can spread the "Pay It Forward" love. I will email you asking for your mailing address {and the online address where you are posting your PIF info} so I can get your crafty treat in the mail. Please make sure your email address is visible on your profile or leave it in the comment.

Well now that I have become long-winded in today's entry, I'll give my farewells to thee. Please know I love any comments or thoughts that my posting might have inspired you to leave.  Y'all come back again... you hear.

Toodles,
Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment